Web Design - Hosting
Web Hosting Services
As already mentioned.... This really depends on the type of site and funcionality that you require. The hosting service that you choose should be under your control from the moment the site is up and running and not managed by your developer unless of course you retain their services to maintain the pages on your behalf. All domain registrations must be in your name from the outset as transfers can be problematic.
Web Hosting - The Costs
It is very easy to spend an absolute fortune on hosting so you need to be very clear regarding both your present needs and future requirements. Generally you should be able to upgrade your hosting service as your web presence expands and your requirements evolve.
One of the first things to consider that you will need to register quite quickly. The host service should have a process on their website that allows you to check the availability of your chosen name and assuming you wish to to host your site on their servers a mechanism to pay the upfront costs.
- Your choice of name should ideally reflect your present business.
- Your domain name(s) should be as short as possible.
- Search engines and visitors can interact with your website more affectively when you use URLs that describe the pages content (for example: https://www.company.com/companyinformation).
- URLs are extremely vital to your SEO campaign.
- Be sure to use URLs that make it easy for Google™ and other search engines to index your site.
- When you trademark your domain name, it keeps other from stealing your brand.
Note for information: the URL or Uniform Resource Locator is the address of your website e.g. www.alangeorge-photography.com
Initially you will need a domain name and may need to consider purchasing similar entities so that in the future your presence is not hijacked e.g. alangeorge-photography.com and alangeorge-photography.co.uk. Typically for a .co.uk domain expect to pay £4.25 per year and for .com £9.00 (before the VAT is added).
What a lot of developers will not tell you is that to host a simple brochure site with 1mb of space and eMail forwading is provided free when you register and keep your domain with the service provider.
The only problem with this approach is that when people email you at email@example.com any replies will have to come from your forwarding address e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org not your company address email@example.com so not a professional approach I would reccommend.
Basic through to Pro Hosting
Depending on your requirements the following comprehensive email options should be available from your service provider regardless of the service you choose....
- POP3 or IMAP access
- Spam filtering and virus blocking
- Unlimited email forwarding
- SMTP for outgoing mail
- A choice of webmail systems
After this you need to calculate the space you'll be needing and whether or not you you need access to a database system (to handle eCommerce,Newsletter, photo gallery) or programming options to provide added functionality and security to the site e.g. a secure contact form or perhaps a Journal.
Costs for hosting will probably start at around £20.00 for a Basic Package rising to £160.00 per annum for a Pro Package
Basic @ £20.00 per annum
- 250 MB webspace
- 5 GB/month transfer
- 10 mailboxes
Pro @ £80.00 per annum
- 5 GB webspace
- 30 GB/month transfer
- 50 mailboxes
- SSL support
Standard @ £40.00 per annum
- 1.5 GB webspace
- 15 GB/month transfer
- 20 mailboxes
- SSL support
Super Pro @ £160.00 per annum
- 10 GB webspace
- Unlimited transfer
- 100 mailboxes
- SSL support
Web hosting doesn't have to be expensive. All of the above options come with full FTP access, unlimited subdomains, and these additional features:....
- Full cgi-bin supporting Perl, PHP 5, Python and Ruby
- MySQL 5 with phpMyAdmin DB manager
- .htaccess files and mod_rewrite support
- SSI (server side includes)
- SSL using our shared certificates, or your own certificate
- SMTP server for outgoing mail
- Extensive mail facilities, including POP3/IMAP and spam filtering
- Web control panel
- Full web stats
All photographs are the copyright of Alan G Fairhall and may not be reproduced or downloaded without express permission from the photographer